Sunday, December 11, 2016

I HATE College


Once I graduated high school  I felt free and was glad that it was over. While everyone was excited for the next chapter in their lives which mostly consisted of college, I was one of the few true that thought about other things. Did I really need to go to college to figure out what my destiny was? Did I really have to go back to sit in a classroom for a four extra years just to receive a paper? I really admire the people who have completed their college degree successfully and I commend their hard work. For me on the other hand, college never has fit within my life no matter how hard I tried. At least not yet.......

I graduated when I was 17 years old, I was really young and I didn't know what I wanted to do. I didn't feel as if I wanted to waste my parents money when I really didn't have a career in mind.That's when  I started community college to save money, with the hopes of being a journalist while all my other friends moved away to other universities that were pretty well known. I picked mass communications as a study because I thought it would be the best degree to use my creativity. It was great in the beginning, but soon I started to become extremely bored. The routine was getting to me and I wasn't and still am not a routine person.

In high school I took Art classes all the way up to the advanced one which you could only get in if you were really good at it. Those were the only classes I took serious in high school when I was there. I wanted to have a career in art, but I allowed people to talk me out of it. There were people who told me that there's no money in it. Being young I took it to heart and pretty much ended my whole art career dreams after I graduated. 

All of the sudden I had this bright idea that I was going to move away to North Carolina to start working and that's exactly what I did. You see, I wanted a fresh start like all of my other friends were getting. While this was one of the most not so smart moves I could've made in my life, it was one of the best life lessons I ever learned. I moved down there with the hopes of going to go to North Carolina A&T University for journalism, get a job, get an apartment, and life would be great. 

The move turned out to be the total opposite to say the least. I wasn't able to get into to school, I had a temporary job that lasted me only 3 months, and I could barely afford my car let alone my rent. Your girl was hurting out there and needed to make an executive decision to leave. I ended up having to move back to Virginia with my parents and the harsh reality that my plan had failed. I realized only recently that it failed because I went the opposite direction of what God had set up for me in the first place.

 I ended getting what you call a good job and going back to school online for business. I picked business because I always wanted my own business but didn't know exactly what type of business. I always knew I was destined to be somebody and do something, but I really didn't take the time to seek God first. Seeking God first is such a true experience because he will guide, direct, and make a path for you. After taking a couple semesters of online classes for business I found myself bored again. In a routine that didn't intrigue me or challenge my mind. Instead of learning about business I just wanted to start one and get it over with. I eventually stopped my classes and found myself feeling like a failure again. 

One day I asked God what did he have for me because I feel like a failure for not wanting to go to college, also because I didn't have a degree like everyone else. Not too long after that I stumbled accross a personality test online that I decided to take. My results for a career was every type of career that had to do with being artistic and creative. Then shortly after that I was invited to a sip and paint party by a friend and I haven't put down a Paint brush since. Something sparked inside of me that night, my love of art had came back stronger than ever since high school. That one night changed my life and it had nothing to do with college. 

After that night I learned that there was a career in Art. I ended up having my first art show, teaching Paint classes, and selling some of my creations. All of the things that people told me about art in a negative way was turning into a positive. I was able to see how powerful God's plan was for my life. He showed me that I didn't have to rely on college to make me somebody or make me feel liberated. It was a plan that was uniquely and wonderfully made just for me and I felt really special. So special that I stopped thinking about trying to put myself in space that I didn't fit. There were so many other things that I was trying to go to school for and God just told me to stop and use my gifts he placed inside of me.

The point of this blog post is not to discourage people from going to college, but really seek God on what he has for your life. You may be surprised that it is the total opposite of what society will make you think and feel. I was trying to fit myself in a box that wasn't for me and it showed through the many failures that took place. Sometimes God will put you through his college courses for you to learn what you have to bring to the world. Today I want you to think about where your at in your life at the moment. Are you living life according to others? Or are you living life according to your true self?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lebron Moves

Hey Everyone! How are you all doing? It has been awhile, but I thought I would jump on here and drop some gems real quick. It's NBA...