Monday, January 9, 2017

My name is not Negro

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year!
Okay so there has been A LOT of awesome things that I have been planning and working on for myself within this New Year. I am very excited about what is to come and I have been really feeling a different level of inspiration lately. The other day I was listening to an interview on the infamous Breakfast Club with Political Commentator Angela Rye mostly known for being on CNN. During the interview she was discussing everything from Trump to what solutions black and brown people need in order to get their communities in order.  I have copied the YouTube link below in order for you to check this GREAT interview out for yourselves!!!


What stood out to me during the interview was when she explained that we should take the time to focus on our foundation as a country and focus repairing it. With Trump coming into office soon, there has been a lot of talk about race and racism. I felt empowered and ready to run for any political position that I can help change the world with after watching the whole interview. I started to think about how passionate I am when it comes to my race.  Let’s face it racism is real and it will most likely always exist within my lifetime.  It is a topic that makes everyone uncomfortable and majority of the time leads to anger. Believe it or not politics runs in my blood somewhat due to my Grandfather being the first black councilman in Warrenton, Virginia.
“Racism is a blight on the human conscience.” – Nelson Mandela
Growing up in Warrenton for my Grandfather wasn’t always peachy, matter of fact it was in the thick of segregation. I’m sure he was faced with racism every day without being able to escape because it was very much alive and well within the 1930’s. By the grace of God he was still able to overcome all of the cruelties of racism and ironically ended up being a representation for the town later on in his life. Warrenton, Virginia respected my Grandfather so greatly that they voted to name the street he built his family home raised his children on after him. What an amazing legacy he left for his family and others to always remember!
I have not ever been called the “N” word to my face before which is a blessing, but I know if I was to be called that word it would be stemming from hate. I could only imagine what my grandfather had to face when he was growing up in a world that constantly rejected him. But what I noticed was throughout all of the rejection my grandfather faced in his life, he still had it within his heart to serve the people that hated him the most.  He didn’t serve because he had to, but it was part of his character that ended up forming his reputation. He had gained respect from all races because of this act of humility yet humbleness.  After all we are put on this earth to serve one another right?

“If you have no critics you’ll likely have no success.” – Malcom X
I can only hope that I can be half the person that my Grandfather was when he was alive. He made sure he was a servant to the community he was living within. It all makes sense to why I have an itch to try to get involved in anything to better my surroundings as I grow more into a woman as each day goes by. It is not an easy task because there is sometimes doubt and fear that can start to creep up, but then I precede to drop kick any of those ill feelings. May my grandfather rest in peace and continue to be proud of my cousins and I. Hopefully we are carrying on the legacy that he has left for us in a way he would be pleased with.
With my reflectiveness of his journey I come to the realization that no matter how a person may treat me because of my skin, I still need to remember who I am.  The goal for this year is to work on serving others more the best way that I know how to. I also would like to build upon my character so my reputation will form itself. I’m not going to allow a word that was formed out of hate to define myself or my colleagues. I am still learning to see through the illusion the society forces on our conscious to believe in and stay alive within the truth that is told to be a lie. With being said……politics anyone? Or just maybe continuing to set an example for those around me? Either way, be on the lookout for what is within my future…………..
“God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.” – Hebrews 6:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lebron Moves

Hey Everyone! How are you all doing? It has been awhile, but I thought I would jump on here and drop some gems real quick. It's NBA...